About German Whist
German Whist (or Hamburg Whist) is a variation of the classic card game whist for two players. There are two scoring variants of this game: either all 26 tricks count towards your score or only the last 13.
This two player card game is played in two sections: the foreplay and the endgame. During the foreplay, players select cards from their hand in order to win or lose cards turned over from the deck. In the endgame, they play their resulting hands against each other.
This version of whist is the most skilled game of all for two players with a common deck of cards. It is possible for players with a good memory to determine exactly which 13 cards their opponent has after the foreplay, and use this knowledge to plan their endgame.
It takes real skill to beat the computer on hard mode with its perfect memory.
If you fancy a quicker game, then try the new 'small whist' game option which plays the same way but with a cut down piquet 28 card deck!
A great game to learn card skills, and fun to play!
How To Play
- Touch to play (first game of the session) or Start new game (subsequent games): this starts a new game.
- Settings (cog icon, bottom left). You can also access the settings screen by swiping the home screen left to right. Once open you can close it by swiping right to left, tapping close or tapping > at the top right.
- Information (question mark icon, bottom right). You can also access the information screen by swiping the home screen right to left. Once open you can close it by swiping left to right, tapping close or tapping > at the top right.
- Stats (trophy icon, top left).
- Sound: Tap the speaker icon at the top right of the home screen to toggle between sound on and off.